1 Points

The folks at Appadvice have been digging around the iTunes store and  found that the Apple iPad / iBook and iTunes store will house 30,000 free books from Project Gutenberg.  

Project Gutenberg is a free online library of ebooks that are in the public domain.  It is supported by donations and volunteers.

In addition to the free books from Project Gutenberg, five of the world's top publishing houses have already signed on with Apple to distribute their books through the iTunes store and iBooks. 

The Hachette Book Group, HarperCollins, Penguin, Simon & Schuster and Macmillan have all signed up so far to let Apple sell their titles.  The publishers will get 70% of the revenue and Apple will get the remaining 30%.

The largest of the top six publishers, Random House, has not signed up yet.

Even if they don't sign up with Apple, iPad users will already have plenty of books to choose from.  Lets see if Apple can turn another whole industry on it's head (as it has done for the music business and is trying to do for TV and movies)

Mar 26, 2010

Share this post on:

Sign in with Facebook